Our City is in better shape than it was when I took office. Our accomplishments and the many improvements belong to all of us. We are poised for growth and together will see great things happen in North Adams. Thank you for my first three terms, for the trust you have placed in me, and for the support you’ve provided through some difficult times. I ask you to allow me to continue to work on your behalf.
Please read and learn more about all that is happening in North Adams. We are at a critical junction with so many projects and I need your support to see them through. Together we will ensure the following:
- Continue to provide balanced budgets and build reserves so that we can begin to fund much needed capital improvements.
- Revitalize Heritage State Park, make it a destination for residents and tourists, be certain that it returns jobs and taxes to the City while relieving the City of trying to manage a commercial venture.
- Continue to support private developers who have invested in the Carriddi Mill and a new contemporary Art Museum.
- Work with our Economic Development team on how we make the Armory a true Community/Youth Center.
- See to fruition Berkshire Scenic train rides between our downtown and that of Adams; an endeavor set to bring an additional 15,000 new visitors to our downtown.
- Work with MassDOT and Berkshire Bike Path on efforts to keep the bike path design moving closer to completion from the south and the west.
- Continue to “cold call” businesses that might be a good fit for the City.
- Collaborate with our anchor institutions – MCLA and and MASS MoCA to further develop ideas for re-use of our Mohawk Theater.
- Investigate and reach out to investors and developers as to a plan for adaptive re-use of our closed churches and mill spaces.
The themes of my first three terms included Fiscal Responsibility, Revitalization of our City and Care and Respect for Our Citizens and they continue to be my top three priorities. I know that while themes are important, you are voting for a person. “HOW” something is accomplished is as important as “WHAT” is accomplished. Good character never goes out of style and we need to be good role models, more than ever, so that our democratic way of life continues to thrive.
My tenure in office has taken courage, independence, truthful disclosure and poise under fire. There have been many big and contentious issues personally, professionally and politically that I have worked through. While some claimed that I wasn’t tough enough for this job let me just say that I have more than earned my stripes.
During this time, I have demonstrated respect for others and for the democratic process; encouraged diverse opinions and learned from others within our government and our region. This has enabled me to form very strategic and powerful partnerships that have generated ideas, energy, and jobs for our City.
I have led this City, with the help of many, honestly, openly and with integrity. While I will say that I do not sleep at night as well as I used to, I sleep knowing that I have done the best I can, based my decisions on what I feel is right for this City and not my political future.
Still, we are working through difficult issues and these issues take time. Key strategies continue to unfold and I readily admit that being mayor is not an easy job; that each and every day brings significant challenges and that in an open and transparent government, things take time. There are some things that I wish had moved faster but democracy and “doing the right thing” are more important to me than speed. We will push onward with a variety of ongoing efforts that will continue to shape our future and our community.
As anyone who has ever painted a house knows, you start by power washing and scraping and creating a good surface. The house actually looks worse until the primer and paint go on and as that happens, things begin to look better. In my three terms, we have done a great deal of preparation and the house is NOW being painted. I am asking you to let me continue painting this house and with your support, it won’t take long to get North Adams to the point where we have a community that can look to the future with confidence.
I am asking for your help and support in whatever way you can give it and most importantly, please remember…North Adams is NOW A DESTINATION!
We are fiscally in a much better place and need the momentum currently at play to see what is next for North Adams. I hope you will join me! Please feel free to ask me for additional information or clarification.
I am asking for your vote. Thank you for your continued support.